What is FOSS Apps?
FOSS stands for Free or Open Source Software. FOSS program is those that have a license to allow users to use program freely, use as they want, modify the program for the personal use and freely distribute the modified program to the users.
F-Droid is an installable catalog of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform. The client makes it easy to browse, install, and keep track of updates on your device. This is like the playstore of FOSS apps, You must need this app to use or install any other apps.
Fennec F-Droid is based on the latest Firefox release. It’s focused on removing any proprietary bits found in official Mozilla’s builds. There might still be some binaries left and the app (or some builds) might get removed or re-pushed anytime.
But most importantly: Download, stream or queue episodes and enjoy them the way you like with adjustable playback speeds, chapter support, and a sleep timer. The app is also available on the playstore and F-droid you can download from any of the stores.
Keepass2Android is a password manager app. It allows to store and retrieve passwords and other sensitive information in a file called “database”. This database is secured with a so-called master password. The master password typically is a strong password and can be complemented with a second factor for additional security. The password database file can be synchronized across different devices. This works best using one of the built-in cloud storage options, but can also be performed with third-party apps. Keepass2Android is compatible with KeePass 1 and Keepass 2 on Windows and KepassX on Linux.
[appbox googleplay id=keepass2android.keepass2android]
#6. K-9 Mail
K-9 Mail is an open source email client with support for multiple accounts, search, IMAP push email, multi-folder sync, flagging, filing, signatures, BCC-self, PGP/MIME & more!
[appbox googleplay id=com.fsck.k9]
#7. Open Camera
The Open Camera app is open source camera app for Android devices. It works just like the stock camera app, this app also has some extra features like auto mode and it also supports HDR. There is manual mode right in the app and it lets you control ISO, Exposers, white balance, Temperature, Focus distance. It needs Camera2API mode enabled in a device to work manual mode.
[appbox googleplay id=net.sourceforge.opencamera]
So, This are not all the apps, There are many Open source apps that you can try by yourself and take a look. Here is a list of that with the link.
- Document Viewer
- Face Slim (Facebook)
- Etar (Calender)
- DAVdroid (CalDAV / CardDAV)
- Magisk Manager (Magisk for rooting)
- Material Notes (Notes)
- Orgzly (Notes & To-Do List, works with org-mode syntax)
- Silence (SMS/MMS)
- Share to Clipboard
- Simple Gallery
- Forecastie (Weather)
- Amaze File Manager
- Ghost Commander (File Manager)
- KDE Connect (to connect to my Linux computer)
- Slide (Reddit. What mine’s look like)
- OctoDroid (GitHub)
- Feeder (RSS)
- OsmAnd~ (Offline GPS)
- AddresstoGPS (to convert address to coords due to OsmAnd~ not having all addresses built in)
- Standard Notes (encrypted cloud-based notes, cross-platform, can self-host too)
- DNS66 (block host names. System-wide adblocker)
- Easer (Like Tasker, but FOSS. Haven’t done much with it)
- QuickDic (Offline Dictionary)
- NewPipe (YouTube)
- OpenLauncher (To replace trebuchet launcher.)
- Syncthing (Syncs files between all my devices & computer)
- primitive ftpd (for FTP/SFTP)
- Tachiyomi (Manga Reader)
- MTG Familiar (For MTG)
- Vanilla Music (Music Player)
- Yalp Store (Download APK from Play Store)
- VLC (Media Player)
- StreetComplete (Help contribute to OpenStreetMaps)
- Mysplash (Unsplash client for browsing photos that are uploaded to that website)
- Telegram-FOSS (Server is closed sourced)
- RIOT.im (Matrix IM client)
- OpenVPN (For VPN)
- microMathematics Plus (Best calculator ever that can do very complex things)
There are bunch of apps out there avaliable on F-Droid you can try. This is the list of apps that I think best for you. If I missed any let me know in comments below.