Since Google has launched Android 9 Pie update, a new feature called Digital Wellbeing is in the trend and users are loving it. As Google claims, Digital Wellbeing helps people to get control over their smartphone usage by showing them a full report of app usage. Further, it allows users to set turn on the Wind Down feature. As a quick reminder, Wind Down feature turn your device screen into Grayscale and also turns on Nightlight which helps to get better sleep at night.
Still, after updating to Android 9 Pie, Digital Wellbeing is not available on plenty of Android devices. So, here’s how you can get the Digital Wellbeing feature on any Android device running on Android 9 Pie. I have mentioned both methods, for Non-rooted device and for rooted device. So, you can use whatever you want.
Get Digital Wellbeing on Non-Rooted Device
To get a Digital Wellbeing on non-rooted Android device is quite easy. But, you have to follow steps as I mentioned them below. In my case the service is running perfectly, so, it should also work on your device as it runs over the Android Pie.
01. Download and install the Digital Wellbeing app from the APKMirror. Well, it is available on Google Play Store but, it might show that your device isn’t compatible.
02. Now, we will require a third-party launcher to run this service on your Android device. Simply, download the Nova Launcher (because I tried with Nova Launcher) from the Google Play Store.
03. Set up the Nova launcher and set it as a default launcher for your device.
04. Press and hold on the home screen. You should get the option for ‘widgets‘ on the bottom located next to the wallpapers. Tap on it.
05. Now, on from the widget’s screen, you have to find out the ‘Activities‘ widget located under the Nova Launcher’s own widget category as I have shown in the screenshot below. Simply tap, hold and drag anywhere on the home screen.
06. Nova launcher will show a complete list of the all available activity widgets on screen from where you have to choose ‘Digital Wellbeing’ widget. Once you will tap on it, you may have so many options. You have to choose one that says ‘.home.TopLevelSettingsActivity‘.
07. It will add Digital Wellbeing app on Home Screen or it should redirect to the Digital Wellbeing app. So open the app and from the next screen, turn the toggle on next to the ‘Show icon in the app list‘. This will make Digital Wellbeing icon in your device app drawer. So, you will be able to open this app directly through the menu.
08. Now, simply uninstall the Nova Launcher from your device. So, you can get back to the original UI.
09. Open Digital Wellbeing application from the app drawer and tap on the ‘Dashboard‘. Now, because Digital Wellbeing is going to show a complete usage of your device, you have to give the user access to this app. So, on the next screen tap on ‘Change in Settings‘.
10. Select the Digital Wellbeing and enable usage access. And that’s it! It will show app usage on your device screen.
Oh! before you move ahead, just in case if you want to download a Deadpool wallpaper, the one which I have on my device screen. You can download it from here.
Get Digital Wellbeing on Rooted Device
Well, it is quite easy to get Digital Wellbeing on a rooted Android device. If you haven’t got root access and want to root your device, so, in this case, Magisk the best as it provides the different modules to get most out of your Android device.
01. To root your Android device using Magisk will require the unlocked bootloader on your device and installed TWRP recovery. Don’t worry our detailed guide will help you to gain root access using Magisk.
02. Alright, now let me assume, you have rooted device running on Android Pie in your hand. So, we can move forward. Open Magisk app and tap on the three lines located on the left side upper corner.
03. Go to the ‘Downloads‘ section. Use the search button located on the upper right side and search for Digital Wellbeing.
04. It should show a module named ‘Digital Wellbeing Port‘. And we have to install it. Simply tap on the ‘download‘ icon next to the module name. It will take a few moments.
05. Once, it installed, simply tap on ‘Reboot‘ button. Once your device successfully rebooted, open the settings and check. The Digital Wellbeing option should be located there.
06. Tap on it and from the next screen tap on the ‘Dashboard‘. Now, because Digital Wellbeing is going to show a complete usage of your device, you have to give the user access to this app. So, on the next screen tap on ‘Change in Settings‘.
07. Select the Digital Wellbeing and enable usage access. And that’s it! It will show app usage on your device screen.